Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: For Todd White.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd, after several weeks of listening to the 16in frame drivers you made up for me Im pleased to inform you I like them. Musical, efficient, lacks the mid bass bloat common with many of todays woofers, goes up into the mids nicely, and has a clean, musical sound!

    I will be contacting you shortly about making 10 more of these 164-8,s for me!

    Tis a righteous sounding bass horn driver.

    forums

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    forums

    Thanks Scott!

    For those of you who might be interested, Scott is referring to the NEW 16" woofer from ICONIC MANUFACTURING COMPANY, the MODEL 164-8LF PREMIUM LOW FREQUENCY LOUDSPEAKER.

    Designed to be cross between a 515B, a 421, and a 515-8G, this speaker is specifically well suited for high level music, but performs equally as well at low power levels, and it's ability to handle transients in a natural manner is exceptional while still handling higher power levels with ease. It is intended to be used in high quality systems everywhere, whether in bass horns or direct radiator enclosures (but they REALLY shine in a bass horn).

    We will be putting up a completely updated website (very) soon, where full T/S parameters, specifications, and product descriptions for this and all of the ICONIC products will be online.

    Watch for an announcement shortly....

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 21, 2004 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys!

    Bill has a few parts, as I understand it, to build 3182's, but, as you say, he doesn't like that speaker, so getting them built may be a problem...

    Personally, I liked it (but I like the 411 better!).

    I'll see what I can do...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Related question: Are you also marketting an Iconic version of the Altec 3182? This was hinted at a while back on this board, but I posed the question to Bill at GPA, and he denied any knowlege. He apparently doesn't really like them for some reasons, and has no plans to duplicate them. Since 3182's are so scarce, it also begs the question of what the best choice is for subs to complement VOTT's where you really want response down to 20Hz (e.g. pipe organ). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Post

    Dave,

    As I mentioned in a previous post in another thread (`Bass Deficiency Anemia'), I strongly recommend an active powered subwoofer.

    Velodyne and Hsu Research are companies that produce subs that go to 20hz at reasonable SPL but I highly recommend taking a look at the Bag End ELF (now INFRA) line of dual-integrators + driver/enclosure systems.

    The theory and implementation are quite compelling; they're by far amongst the cleanest subs I've heard yet. They were designed by the team that developed the UREI Time-Align(tm) monitor series, after all. And they're becoming quite popular for control room and mix monitoring as well.

    You can read my description of the Bag End ELF system at: http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...c/f/3729/t/853

    BobR

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the great information. I will get two 3182's if Bill will build them. There is a market for very low end units like these, but not a lot of speakers around with the specs of the 3182.
    The Bag End speakers are truly awesome, especially the Bassault unit. A sub system using one of these would be $12K+, a staggering amount when you hope to stay beneath $1K to build a pair of subs. I would imagine its performance would be amazing with four 21" drivers powered by 3400 watts.
    Their technology is ingenius, but not totally new. Bose tried to do similar to coax respectable bass from 4" drivers with mixed results. Friend was running a pair of 901's with a Crown DC300. We hooked up a pair of A7's I had just built, and the results were amazing, especially after he switched in the bass boost - it turned the woofers inside out! The Altec 15's survived that somehow. Neighbor called to complain from a mile away!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I asked Bill a while back about the 3182, in terms of ability to build. He said at that time he had a few odd parts enough to build one or two but to start producing it would take some tools that he does not have. The 3184 is more of a possibility but it will not go quite as low.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    forums Alas, alas - I asked Bill about parts availability for the 3182, and there are no more.... forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.